Trek Untold-Episode 94: Sachi Parker Has Changed Her Luck
Trekkies will remember Sachi Parker as Dr. Tava from the “Star Trek: The Next Generation” episode “First Contact” (no, not the movie), but her career and life go far beyond the stars… although in her case, it was a bit closer to stars than most of us.
The daughter of legendary Hollywood actress Shirley MacLaine and Steve Parker, Sachi had a tumultuous childhood and a fractured relationship with her mother, which culminated in her writing a tell-all book about the two of them called “Lucky Me: My Life With – and Without – My Mom, Shirley MacLaine.” Fast forward to almost a decade after Sachi wrote that book, and her perspective has changed in a big way.
We discuss growing up in Japan and her eventual arrival in LA to reconnect with her mom, who in turn helped her daughter discover her talent for acting, what she learned under the tutelage of Peggy Feury, her first professional gig on “Riders to the Sea” with Geraldine Page and Amanda Plummer in Ireland, “Back to the Future” with Michael J. Fox, “Peggy Sue Got Married,” “Scrooged” and how much of Bill Murray's speech at the end was improv, and her episode of the sci-fi series “Alien Nation” with Gary Graham and Eric Pierpoint.
From there, it's time for some Trek talk, and Sachi explains how she got the role, the makeup, and prosthetics, working with Jonathan Frakes, memories of Bebe Newirth's guest spot in the same episode, and more from her time on set.
We also spend much of the episode discussing her mom, coping with feelings of isolation while growing up under a public microscope, why she kept her mother a secret while she was in Hollywood, figuring out who she is and dealing with her generational trauma, and how Sachi has changed to make her life better today for herself and her family.
- Check out Sachi's book on Amazon using this link here – https://amzn.to/38UFHRy
- Visit https://www.drivebydogooders.org/ to donate to the cause, and if you donate $35 or more, Lycia will send you an autographed picture. In the comments section where you donate, include your name and address and what pic you would like, and Lycia will send it on your way!
- Visit Pancan.org to support the Trek against Pancreatic Cancer
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the notifications button to be updated when we go live or upload our next video!
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/
- GamiFi Everything: Beyond The Metaverse: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/gamifi-everything-beyond-the-metaverse/
- Slaying For Me: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/slaying-for-me/