Trek Untold Episode 79: Michael Bell – Trek, Toons & Teachings from a master
You've heard the sound of his voice since you were a kid, today learn all about the man behind it! This week on Trek Untold, we speak with veteran performer and voiceover artist Michael Bell. You may recognize his voice as Duke from “G.I. Joe,” Lance from “Voltron,” Prowl and Sideswipe from “Transformers,” Chaz Finster from “The Rugrats,” and many many more! Michael also spent some time in the Star Trek franchise, starting with the TNG pilot “Encounter at Farpoint” as Gropler Zorn, and then returning later to DS9 as Borum in “The Homecoming” and Drofo Awa in “The Magquis, Part 2” concluding with roles in some of the Star Trek video games from that era.
Learn all about Michael's long road towards performing, his first role in the cult film “Damaged Goods,” working on “The Monkees” and his scene with Micky Dolenz, his appearance on “M.A.S.H.,” “Three's Company,” how he found his way into voiceover acting and learning from legendary pros like Mel Blanc, how he creates his voices and the memorable emotional moment as Chaz Finster in the Mother's Day episode from “The Rugrats.”
And of course, plenty of Trek talk with Michael, including his original audition for the part of Q, working on the pilot with Jonathan Frakes, Patrick Stewart, and Brent Spiner, discussion of one of the deleted scenes from the TNG pilot, the excruciating makeup process for his second role on DS9, lessons he learned from his VO contemporaries, his hopes for his legacy, advice to preserve your voice for animation for years to come, and other tips and tricks that come from a lifetime of work in VO performing.
- Watch Michael Bell's Voiceover MasterClass on Youtube for FREE – https://youtu.be/6mHaukYYOH4
- Visit https://www.drivebydogooders.org/ to donate to the cause, and if you donate $35 or more, Lycia will send you an autographed picture. In the comments section where you donate, include your name and address and what pic you would like, and Lycia will send it on your way!
- Visit Pancan.org to support the Trek against Pancreatic Cancer
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the notifications button to be updated when we go live or upload our next video!
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Call Me When It's Over: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/cmwio/
- Cheese! A Photography Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/capp/
- Black is the New Black: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- The Variant Issue: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tvi/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/
- The Funkohub POPcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/funkohub-popcast/