Trek Untold Episode 68: Shawn Ewashko, Visual Effects Project Manager at CBS, talks Star Trek VFX
Shawn Ewashko, Visual Effects Projects Manager at CBS, talks Star Trek VFX
Visual effects are one of the most important parts of any sci-fi series, and is often an integral part of any TV show or film, whether you are aware of it or not. When it comes to Star Trek, everything from computer screens, phaser blasts, starships, and other effects are added to take the show from ordinary to extraordinary.
Shawn Ewashko is the Visual Effects Projects Manager at CBS, working on the Short Treks, “Star Trek: Discovery,” “Star Trek: Picard,” and the upcoming “Strange New Worlds” series. Alongside Jason Zimmerman, he oversees the creative and logistical process of making sure all of the VFX shots come together to look impressive and look natural, and blend into reality.
In this episode of Trek Untold, we take a deep dive with Shawn to discuss his roots in Star Trek, what he learned at the DAVE Academy, his history of working with Alex Kurtzman, and VFX he has done for other shows, and then we beam into our Trek Talk. Shawn breaks down the workflow for VFX, what it takes to make a scene, and all the technical talk that would make Geordi La Forge's head spin! I also ask Shawn the tough questions, like de-aging Brent Spiner for Picard and the “copy and paste” ship battle from the finale for season 1 of Picard, how working remotely changed what he and his team did, details on their Emmy winning episode “Su'Kal” and making the shadow monster with contortionist Jinny Jacinto, and much more!
NOTE: This episode was recorded before the Emmy awards, so we
Check out the Max EFX Podcast here – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-max-efx-podcast-an-insider-look-at-the/id1524527122
Visit Pancan.org to support the Trek against Pancreatic Cancer
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the notifications button to be updated when we go live or upload our next video!
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Call Me When It’s Over: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/cmwio/
- Cheese! A Photography Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/capp/
- The Variant Issue: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tvi/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- Funkohub POPcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/funkohub-popcast/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/