Trek Untold Episode 60: Karen Westerfield, Star Trek Makeup Artist
Karen Westerfield, Star Trek Makeup Artist
Karen started on “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” working on Klingon makeup, and followed it up in the sixth motion picture, continued by her work on DS9 as the main makeup person for Armin Shimerman, and then First Contact and Insurrection.
Karen shares with us the secrets behind Quark's makeup and prosthetics, and we talk about a few of the episode.s Karen won an Emmy for TNG Cost of Living, DS9 Captive Pursuit and Distant Voices, playing a prank on Marc Alaimo, and an embarrassing moment on the set of DS9 with Quark.
And the story behind Quark's appearance on “Regist & Kathie Lee” and doing Armin's makeup for the first time in decades at a Star Trek convention in England.
Plus, the roundabout path she went down to eventually end up in her field, what she learned from the Marvin Westmore Academy, and work on other films like “Robocop,” “Edward Scissorhands,” “Batman Returns” and a secret makeup technique she applied to Quark on DS9 that she first used on Danny Devito as The Penguin, and much more. Learn all about special effects makeup with Karen on the new Trek Untold!
Visit Pancan.org to support the Trek against Pancreatic Cancer
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the notifications button to be updated when we go live or upload our next video!
Don't forget to subscribe to the show and leave a rating if you like us!
Trek Untold is sponsored by Triple-Fiction Productions, a US-based company that 3-D prints Trek-inspired prop replicas for fan films and cosplayers, as well as accessories and playsets for all iterations of Trek figures through the years. Visit them at Triple-Fictionproductions.net.
The views expressed on air during Trek Untold do not represent the views of the RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.
Follow Trek Untold on Social Media
- Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/trekuntold
- Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/trekuntold
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/trekuntold
Follow Nerd News Today on Social Media
- Twitter: Twitter.com/NerdNews2Day
- Instagram: Instagram.com/NerdNewsToday
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NerdNewsToday
Trek Untold is sponsored by Treksphere.com, powered by the RAGE Works Podcast Network, and affiliated with Nerd News Today.
Check Out Some of the Other Shows on the RAGE Works Network
- Black is the New Black: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/bitnb/
- Call Me When It’s Over: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/cmwio/
- Cheese! A Photography Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/capp/
- The Variant Issue: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tvi/
- Turnbuckle Tabloid: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/tbt/
- Toys & Tech of the Trade: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/ttott/
- Trek Untold: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/trek-untold/
- Funkohub POPcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/funkohub-popcast/
- The Eat 4 Life Podcast: https://rageworksnetwork.com/show/eat4life/