Atomic Business Coaching-Episode 50
The Work Sucks
Adam opens the discussion by asserting that work often “sucks,” but it is meant to be that way for progress to occur. Tom agrees and adds that the discomfort of work is something everyone experiences. Adam challenges the idea of “finding what you love and never working,” suggesting that people should convince themselves to love their work rather than simply enjoying it.
The term “Purple Collar” is introduced to describe finding a balance between white-collar and blue-collar work. Adam explains that many business owners start loving what they do but eventually reach a point where they make less money. At this point, the work becomes uncomfortable and sucks.
Tom emphasizes that hard work leads to freedom of time and the ability to do what one pleases, which is the ultimate goal. Adam states that people often convince themselves to love their work to get through the day, but this can come at the expense of things they truly love.
They discuss the importance of persistence and performing without immediate reward, using the concepts of “aggressive patience” and unwavering commitment.
Tom advises focusing internally on the purpose and benefits of hard work rather than being concerned with outward appearances. Adam agrees that aggression is crucial to patience, as more work leads to more success. Adam unpacks how people convince themselves they love their work to get through the day, which often steals time from the things they genuinely love. They both discuss grit and the need for a resilient mindset, emphasizing the importance of performing without an immediate reward.
Tom ends the discussion by underscoring the importance of effective leadership, which he says involves not asking others to do what you aren't willing to do yourself. As leaders, the focus should shift from personal success to the success of the team or business.
- Check out our Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/321628173691426
- Follow us on Instagram: @atomicbusinesscoaching
- Subscribe to the Atomic Business Coaching YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@atomiccoaching
- Visit the Atomic Business Coaching Website: www.atomicbusinesscoaching.com
- Connect with Atomic Business Coaching on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/atomic-business-coaching/
- Get your copy of The Morning Meeting on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3MxQ9jr
- Get your copy of Adam and Tom's new book, The Atomic Game Changer: https://amzn.to/44v73VZ
The views expressed on air during the Atomic Business Coaching Podcast do not represent the views of RAGE Works staff, partners, or affiliates.